Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Birthday Girl


Though I had not anticipated my mom would see another birthday, she turned 89 earlier this month. I spoke with her on the phone that day and she sounded strong and happy as she told me she was "43". Dementia can be such a blessing when a person's health fails. At least they can live in a pretend world that has youth and vigor.

I was listening to some old favorites from Sara Groves and came across this song. It articulates well my mom's journey toward the end of life and my participation in that journey.

I have a friend who just turned 88 and she just shared with me that she's afraid of dying.
I sit here years from her experience and try to bring her comfort. I try to bring her comfort.
But what do I know? What do I know?
She grew up singing about the glory land, and she would testify how Jesus changed her life.
It was easy to have faith when she was 34, but now her friends are dying, and death is at her door.
Oh, what do I know? What do I know?
She lost her husband after 60 years and as he slipped away, she still had things to say.
Death can be so inconvenient. You try to live and love. It comes and interrupts.
Oh, what do I know? What do I know?

Well, I don't know that there are harps in heaven or the process of earning your wings.
And I don't know of bright lights at the end of tunnels, or any of these things.
But I know to be absent from this body, is to be present with the Lord.
And from what I know of Him, that must be very good.
But I know to be absent from this body, is to be present with the Lord. And from what I know of Him, that must be VERY GOOD.....

No comments: