Saturday, March 13, 2010

Grandma VanderMeiden goes to Heaven


How can I express in words a proper tribute to a mother? My mother-- who has now passed from this life into eternal life. I did not fully appreciate until I became one myself the depth of love and commitment that a woman devotes to her offspring beginning with pregnancy, labor, days rolling into years of loving,training, disciplining and then releasing. My mother didn't do it all perfectly--and neither am I. But, she was praiseworthy in many ways.
As I reflect on her life I will recall with a smile and a tear seeing her sitting at her Singer sewing machine making crazy quilts and walking down the sidewalk smiling with an armload of garage sale treasures. I will hear her playing and singing hymns at her Story and Clark piano. I will smell the oatmeal she cooked for my dad everyday for breakfast. I will think of her whenever I eat a peice of pie.
Her legacy is a treasured heirloom for our family. She was loyal and devoted to her family--especially her neices and nephews during her single adult years. Then she married at 44 and became a mom at 46. Her family expanded to include foster children, an adopted daughter and then grandchildren. She valued christian education and sacrificed to provide it for several relatives and friends who the Lord gave her a burden for. She has inspired us with her courage, perseverance and resiliency enduring the hardships of strokes, debilitating arthritis, dementia and congestive heart failure. Most importantly, my mother leaves a legacy of faith in a God who takes the imperfect peices of our crazy quilt lives and creates an original handiwork more beautiful that we could have imagined when we allow him.

No comments: