



About a month ago, Angela observed that the walls at the nursing home were "not very cheerful". She had an idea to change that by painting a mural. We approached the owner, who after seeing pictures of her previous 2 projects, was enthusiastic to accept her offer to volunteer for the job. She decided to do a beach scene and started to work. What an amazing process! She had all sorts of adventures during the 15 hours she spent in the dementia hall painting. Residents watched her. Some thought she was a naughty girl for painting on the walls. One resident asked her "How much money do I have to pay to get out of here?" Some admired her work and told her "You're doing a beautiful job honey!" Employees came to see her progress. Visiting family members praised her talents. When she finished the picture, she took her fine paintbrush and black paint and wrote in the top corner "Painted by Angela Webster in loving memory of Irvin P. VanderMeiden." We both stood back and inspected her work for a few moments. She spoke first saying "I'm happy with it." As for me, words failed to express what I felt as a I gazed at her accomplishment. I'm amazed that she is so gifted. I'm proud that she would choose to invest her time and energy into such a worthy endeavor. I'm grateful for her art instruction through Mrs. Kunkel who taught her drawing for 5 years. I'm reflective as I recall my Dad's encouragement of Angela's earliest attempts at drawing. In my mind's eye, I can still see the two of them sitting at the kitchen table drawing together. In that moment I found myself saying silently "Oh Dad, I hope you can see how Angela honors you today." Psalm 103 talks about the blessings that are passed on through godly heritage to our "children's children" and I saw living proof of it today.
4 comments:
Angela,
This is so beautiful! You are really gifted! That was a wonderful act of kindness!
Love in Chirst,
Katherine A.
That is wonderful that you finished the mural, Angela. It is truly beautiful. Glad I could see it in person and watch you work. Love that you dedicated it to your grandfather. Miss you.
Megan L. :)
You painted a beautiful mural! So glad you are using your God-given talents to honor God and your grandfather.
:) Mrs. Mackie
Simply beautiful. Very touching.
Post a Comment